Healthy Summer Salads
I don’t know about you, but I don’t like to eat heavy meals when it’s 100 degrees outside. I would much rather have a salad and iced tea over a steak and baked potato in the Summer. Eating the same salads can get boring, so I’ve ventured out to search for some healthy salads that look delicious, and I think I’ve found a pretty great mix that I’ll be trying out very soon!
Corn Salad with Peppers and Black Beans
6 cobs of corn 1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
1/2 large red onion, diced 1 can black beans
2 poblano peppers, chopped 1 red pepper, chopped
1 anaheim pepper, diced 1 cup feta cheese
1/2 cucumber, chopped 1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar 1 teaspoon basil
1/4 cup olive oil 1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
- Cook the corn in a pot full of boiling water. Once it has cooked, remove it from the pot and let it cool. Cut the corn off the cob and place in a large bowl.
- Dice the onion and Anaheim pepper and add them to the bowl.
- Chop the poblano peppers, red pepper, and cucumber. Add them as well.
- Rinse the black beans well and add them. Measure out the feta and put it in the bowl.
- In a smaller bowl add the vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice. Mix it up well and pour over the ingredients in the large bowl. Add additional spices (mentioned above).
- Mix it well and serve!
Tomato Avocado Cucumber Chick Pea Salad with Feta & Greek Lemon Dressing
- 21 oz red cherry tomatoes
- 10.5 oz yellow cherry tomatoes
- 14.5 oz chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
In a salad bowl toss together tomatoes, chick peas and cucumbers. Add avocado and parsley and gently toss. Add desire amount of dressing and the feta and gently toss to evenly coat. Serve within an hour for best results. For the dressing: In a blender (or mixing bowl with a whisk), blend olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and salt until mixture is well emulsified. Stir in basil and oregano.
** Some people call me weird for liking Chipotle (even after their outbreak) but call me crazy I cannot get enough of their corn salsa and guacamole. The corn salad recipe above reminds me a lot of Chipotle, minus the meat. So I am really excited to give it a go. Justin and I have some tomato plants in the backyard, and this greek style salad features a lot of small tomatos that we can use. I’ve never ate a salad like that one before, but I do LOVE LOVE avocados, so I’m, sure I’ll like this recipe as well.